Are you someone who is known to friends and family as having a sweet tooth? If you never met a candy bar you didn’t like, you are likely aware of the fact that this doesn’t bode well for your oral health. The good news is that you aren’t going to be faced with a difficult decision of giving up the sugary sweetness you love! Instead, you’ll just have to make the best of your occasional (or frequent) cravings. Let’s see how prepared you are to protect your smile with a quick quiz.
Quiz: True or False?
- True or False: If you have a sweet tooth, the best thing you can do for your smile is to give up sugar – however, we don’t expect patients to make this extreme decision.
- True or False: There are many things you can choose that aren’t packed full of “bad” sweeteners. If you have a sweet tooth, alternative options can help protect your oral health.
- True or False: You should consider switching from sugary drinks to diet drinks to protect your oral health.
- True. Choosing to eliminate sugar from your diet can offer greatly increased protection against tooth decay. However, we understand that our patients are human and enjoy desserts!
- True. You may wish to choose sugar-free gum, pears, or apples, which are good for your teeth and surprisingly sweet.
- False. This blanket statement is not necessarily helpful. Diet sodas, for instance, do not contain sugar but are highly acidic and therefore can damage your teeth and oral health. Reach for milk or water when possible. If not, rinse your mouth with water after you indulge in a sweet or acidic drink.