Dental cleanings make up an essential portion of your preventive care, which is why we feel strongly about ensuring you’re well educated on the topic. We understand that many patients schedule their cleanings right on the dot, according to our suggestions, simply because it’s a habit. Other patients may take a more lax approach to prevention, often only because they are not informed regarding the significant protection cleanings offer. Where do you fall within this spectrum of preventive knowledge? Find out with a quick cleaning quiz!
Dental Cleanings Quiz: True or False?
- True or False: You should schedule a dental cleaning once every two years, so we can remove plaque you haven’t been able to address on your own.
- True or False: We suggest consistent dental cleanings because they help protect you from problems like tooth decay and gum disease.
- True or False: If we find that you are suffering from any type of gum inflammation, we will immediately refer you to a periodontist for treatment.
- False. For most patients, we suggest that you schedule your dental cleanings twice a year – it is best to see us once every six months to maintain your healthiest smile.
- True. Your dental cleaning allows us to use professional methods to remove the plaque that you miss with your brush and dental floss (don’t worry – nobody can remove plaque and its hardened form called “tartar” on their own). Plaque is the leading cause of tooth decay and gum disease, so removing it promotes a healthy smile.
- False. When we recognize gum inflammation, we will treat you with a deep cleaning to remove the accumulated plaque and tartar from beneath your gumline. This is the first step in reducing inflammation and any existing infection.